There’s something wonderful about fall leaves in upstate New York and other parts of the eastern U.S. Vibrant colors strutting their stuff in a cacophonous frenzy, reminding us that this part of the life cycle has incredible beauty all its own. As the leaves drift through the air at the slightest invitation of a passing breeze, they become the musical sound of a crunch chorus that makes us want to rake them all together. The kid in us comes out and wants to dive in like we did only moments ago when we were able to find the joy in little things. The fall season is the motherload of metaphors for time and life and causes me to reflect a bit on those golden nuggets that just may be worth remembering as we head toward Thanksgiving dinner.
Job 7:6 reminds us that our “days are swifter than a weaver’s shuttle.” Most of us have become quite a beautiful tapestry by now and so here are a few threads that have been woven into my own masterpiece, the kinds of ideas that blanket my life with hope and warmth.
In the spirit of leaves drifting by your window, I offer these colorful thoughts:
- Your time is always valuable. It is not slipping through your fingers, it is rising every morning to give you new possibility.
- Your friends hold you up and hold you accountable…that’s what friends are for.
- Your work is designed to connect you more closely with your Creator, the One who gave you the gifts to perform it in the first place.
- Your character is worth protecting, and its worth refining.
- Your kindness is more powerful than your anger could ever be.
- Your words create an embrace, or cause a dark space, only love can replace.
- Your heart is always at the peak of the season.
- You win every time you recognize the game.
- Your love colors everything and shines in the faces of those around you.
As you watch the falling leaves with gratitude for all that you are and all you’ve become, remember that this day will never come again, that you are the vibrant, golden rich resource of all that is and you are blessed beyond measure. So to quote from an unknown writer…
Take the life that you have and give it your best,
Think positive, be happy, let God do the rest,
Take the challenges that life has laid at your feet,
Take pride and be thankful for each one you meet,
To yourself give forgiveness if you stumble and fall,
Take each day that is dealt you and give it your all.
Go play in the leaves…it’s a great day to be alive!